A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Saturday, October 22, 2005

The not so world wide web

Wow, the things I'll go through for internet access... right now I'm sitting in the dark, on a park bench on campus, connected to a random wireless access point ("U2-ESA"; I think it's a university network) and shivering in the cold while squinting at my dim screen (if I don't set it to 'Etch-a-Sketch' brightness levels, the battery drains in about an hour) and staying on guard against potential assailants. I have my headphones on, but there's no music playing; clever trickery designed to lure my attackers into thinking they have an advantage, but really serving to alert me of their approach sooner. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not really out to get me.

All of this would be much simpler, of course, if the university could simply install internet access in the residences. However, that is too great of a demand to make and, considering my school's track record with maintaining simple mechanical things like refrigerators and stoves, perhaps it is better that they steer clear of electronics. I'm not sure how to describe it - but outside my building there is a curb ramp that I honestly believe would have been better designed and constructed by the Romans. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. It's sad how much of the university is in disrepair. I tried to go to the library today and it was closed, with only a sign in the window, "Library will be closed 10/22, 10/29, 10/31, and 11/1," and no other explanation. I yearn for ASU's 24/7 Hayden Library.

It's not all gloom, though. Yesterday Sarah and I went to the "Millelisme," a wine-tasting event in downtown Grenoble, at Place Victor Hugo. For 12 euros, we both received a nice wine glass emblazoned with the event's logo (I'll try to bring them home for Christmas!) and access to around 30 different vendor booths. Most were winemakers, but there were also foie gras and cookie tents, a live jazz band and a tent with fourteen glass balls containing different scents and aromas, and information on how they factored into winemaking. We were really unsure of the protocol at first, being such wine debutants, but eventually mustered the courage to approach random strangers with glass outstretched and request "un peu de la rouge, s'il vous plait." To look more authentic, we performed the hold-the-glass-up-to-the-light-and-nod-thoughtfully-while-really-wondering-where-you-could-find-a-Sprite ritual, follwed by the swirl-it-gently-don't-splash!-they'll-think-you're-drunk exercise and topped off with the plunge-your-nose-in-the-glass-and-pray-no-boogers-fall-in-then-INHALE-like-you-just-escaped-drowning routine. Usually by the end of that delicate dance we were sufficiently far enough away from the booth to try the sample, grimace in disgust and pour the remainder out as quickly as possible.

Sarah shopped more on Thursday, mostly at the Swedish clothing store H&M... and I got my haircut! That was a terrifying experience. I walked in, was greeted by "Marc" and told him that I would like a haircut, in a sort of French style, but not too bizarre. He said, "Alors, vous voulez... (So, you want...) chic, elegant, cool, sexy... class, oui?" I grinned and nodded and thought it would all go well and nodded off to the lulling sound of snipping scissors. I looked up and said, "Whoa, c'est court!" - that's short! - and then stayed awake out of fright for the rest of the experience... and now I'm wearing a hat. Grr. It might not actually be that bad, but now it's more crew cut with peculiar French spin, and less sexy spiky American. At least I got a 20% student discount - students get discounts on almost everything here. It's baffling. Even the McDonald's clone 'Quick' gives students a 5 or 10% discount on food. Speaking of Quick, that's where we ran to after the wine tasting, in urgent search of bathrooms. We raced to the second floor and were stymied by a stern looking door equipped with an unfortunately very functioning keycode system. It only took a little bit of deduction to figure out that a purchase was necessary to obtain a keycode... and then right after we'd bought the cheapest little cheesy bacon fried nuggets available and used the restrooms, someone simply asked us for our code. We gave it to them and tried to post our receipt with the code outside the entrance but gave up after the horrible rain THAT HAS PLAGUED GRENOBLE SINCE I ARRIVED beat us back.

Sarah and I took a painfully early 5am bus to Lyon's St Exupery airport this morning. We said goodbye around 7:45am and I took an 8:30am bus back to Grenoble, where I then slept, played online until my battery was exhausted and read the Economist until I fell asleep again. I'm trying to plan a trip next week to Strasbourg, Munich, Berlin and Prague. I'm not sure if I can fit them all in in just eight days, but I'll give it a shot. November 3rd I'm off to Cambridge for the 400th anniversary of Guy Fawke's Day and to observe first-hand the swirling intrigue around Rachel's remarkable romantic entanglements.

I just got a call from Eli, another American guy from ASU, letting me know of his intention to go downtown to "an Irish bar by the river." There are lots of Irish bars downtown and there are two rivers, but I'll be hitching along - that's typically how a night goes here. Once one person finds something to do, he/she texts/calls as many other people as quickly as possible, so we all converge on one establishment in a large horde, like roaming barbarians. I would try to hang out with French students, but it's the weekend and they always retreat to their family homes far, far away from Grenoble.

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I think I am well on the way to being free of any romantic entaglements by the time you get here. One is definitively finished, and the other is finished to the point where I don't think even gross overconsumption of alcohol could revive it. If you were really into witnessing drama, I can try to dig something else up in the next couple of weeks! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home