A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Rotten Luck

The temptation to return home at the end of the semester has returned. My bank here, Societe Generale, "couldn't find" my 300 euro ($360 USD) deposit; supposedly they're "looking into it." The International Relations office changed the amount of credits one of my classes was worth, and absolutely refused to budge, so now I have to find another class to take - in the fourth week of the semester! - or receive a failing grade back at ASU for the difference between the number of credits I take and the number required. I need a stress ball that has "French Bureaucracy" written on it.

Other than being cold, dark and small, the dorms here aren't bad at all. When I walked in the building last night, some kids from Thailand invited me to eat dinner with them. Afterwards, I walked with Indian and Mexican guys to a French/English/American apartment party. Last week there was an enormous party on the floor above me; I met an incredible amount of French students, Morrocans and Algerians. Everyone is stunningly friendly; yesterday afternoon I played American football with some French guys on a grassy hill near our dorm.

I had a nice time in Geneva (had the fortune to meet two great Australian guys and we all hung out together, every night until 6am), but the city was definitely not worth spending four days in - two would have sufficed nicely. I took a plethora of pictures and will start posting those soon.

2 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Zach! Hang in there..find the other class and keep going..dont throw in the towel..you'll be back in the States before you know it and this will all be a terrific memory! We hate to go to certain places with uncle Cli8ve cause they think he's from Australia and the agruments begin! He doesnt5 like the French or the Aussies!! Love you mean it
Aunt Mary

 
At 11:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have had extraordinarily bad luck with the bureacracy. I think that disturbed the cosmic balance by having everything go smoothly and you've got double to make up for it. You're at the 2 month hump - long enough for the novelty to have worn a bit thin, but not quite comfortable enough for it to feel like home. It'll come.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home