A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I Heart Amsterdam

I'll post a write-up of my time in Amsterdam soon. In short, I LOVED IT. For now, here are some of the 163 pictures I took, along with brief captions.

This picture encapsulates Amsterdam. You have quaint, diverse, narrow buildings built with only the faintest hint of order. You have lots of bicycles. You can also see the edge of a canal - still an important part of the city's identity.


An Amsterdam canal shot. It's even more peaceful and pleasant than it appears! The weather was crisp, but not freezing.


One end of a four-block long flower market. Yes, tulips were the most popular item and yes, they were dirt cheap (10 for 3 euros).


There was definitely some peculiar architecture...


...and even more peculiar tourists. I don't think it's possible to look goofier.


We went to the "Heineken Experience" at the Heineken Brewery. At 10 euros, it seemed a bit steep at first, but we enjoyed it. There were several interactive features, a few tastings and we each received a collector's glass at the end.


Part of the "Experience" included walking under a ceiling of glass with a few inches of water above it. There was a steady drip of water coming from the top of the container; it was a neat effect to stand under.


Afterwards, we were in desperate need for something more cultural. This is the backside of the famous Rijksmuseum, unfortunately undergoing major renovation under 2008. It looked fascinating and it had some interesting, well-kept gardens, too.


Looking the opposite direction, I believe this is the Vondelpark.


I loved the Van Gogh museum and his pointillist "Trees and Undergrowth" in particular.


This picture encapsulates the other side of Amsterdam. I took this picture at noon on a Thursday. I wish I knew where these guys were going. I definitely don't want to know what's in the box they dropped.


We went to the Anne Frank House, a moving and reflective experience.


More cool Dutch architecture.


We dined at "Japanese Pancake World" after reading a highly positive review of it in our easyJet in-flight magazine. I don't know exactly what was served to me, but it was certainly not a pancake and it was certainly not highly positive. I took a video of the fluttering fish flakes on Laura's... trust me, you don't want to see it.


A beautiful church near our hostel - well, everything in Amsterdam is "near" everything else. The city was remarkably small and easy to traverse. I read that it takes only 40 minutes to walk from one end to another.


An opening in the canals - the whole city is like this!


A picture of the old man himself.


Another wall packed with Rembrandt's contemporaries. It was interesting to read how he also made quite a bit of money as an art dealer... but even that little side business wasn't enough to pay for his 28,000 guilder house, repossessed only 10 years after he bought it.


The master bedroom... also in a box! The only difference is that Mr. Rembrandt had purple curtains and a few more pillows. I have to admit, I definitely do not see the allure of SLEEPING IN A BOX.


I loved wandering the tiny side streets and discovering creative apartment buildings.


You probably find all these photos dreadfully boring, but they continue to make me smile and appreciate the ecclectic and cozy Dutch streets.


The National War Monument in Dam Square, "erected in memory of Dutch soldiers and members of the resistance who died in World War 2. Unveiled in 1956, the monument stores soil from all of Holland's provinces as well as from the Dutch East Indies and if you go to the back of the obelisk tower, you'll find the provinces' crests." If only they'd chosen a different shape.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger delhidreams said...

hey zach,
nice pics
i like all of them, especially the canal ones...
thanks
adi

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Pictures! Didnt you know that Amsterdam is a "naughty" city?? Did you see the women in the windows??
I would love to go to the Art Museums...
you are having an amazing adventure!!!
xoxox
Aunt Mary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home