A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Just let me play one round of golf on it

I'll need Rachel to remind me which college is which - there are 31 in Cambridge and very few of them properly labeled (usually the ones constructed within the last two centuries). This is one of the first she showed me, but it would reveal a common theme: beautiful, classic architecture, finely-manicured lawns and carefully trimmed vegetation.


A replica of the Venetian "Bridge of Sighs." I saw the real thing two days before :)


The grounds of St. John/Trinity.


Take a look at the clock... or the lack of it. An old Cambridge city code prevented more than one clock-tower within a mile of the city center - and this college lost the race.


The King's College "quad." There are automatic sentry turrets in the center gazebo and they're designed to immediately fire 50-caliber bullets at anyone who steps on the grass for more than 1.3 seconds (accurate time - I witnessed the unfortunate demise of more than one ignorant Japanese tourist.)


The Trinity College "quad." I wanted to re-enact Chariots of Fire, but I left my running shoes back in Grenoble.


Another view of the King's College Chapel and the Bates Building.


The King's College Library had the most pleasing "library" smell that I've ever experienced. There were all sorts of little nooks and crannies, wonderfully creaky floorboards and rows and rows of classic books, inches away from my fingertips. It's open 24 hours, but if you're the last one to leave, "please turn the lights off."


The famous "Backs" view, looking towards King's College Chapel and the Bates Building from across the Cam River.


Rachel pointed out this sign a few yards from her hostel. She said she just discovered it a couple weeks ago. The actual church was fairly well-hidden by dense shrubbery.


Emmanuel College's "quad." The next evening, we would attend a formal dinner in their dining hall, but first...


...we strolled among the famous Emma surely-they-are-heavily-sedated ducks. They were bold little creatures and we decided to leave before they grew incensed at us for not bringing food.

1 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! How do they keep the grass so nice looking?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home