A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Friday, November 18, 2005

COPS

My friends and I - and at least a couple thousand other people - were tear-gassed last night. November 17 was "Beaujolais Nouveau," a celebratory release night for a mediocre wine. Somehow it's built up an international reputation, with bottles selling in China for 150 euros - when the same product sells for 3.60 in grocery stores here. Flocks of people were downtown and apparently the celebration was getting out-of-hand... so around 12:40am police started launching tear gas canisters. There were thunderous booms as they were released; I thought it was a riot shotgun or some type of noise machine at first. Then my nose started aching and people around me were coughing, rubbing their eyes and covering their mouths with scarfs. Throngs of people left the "Place aux Herbes," the main gathering point, and streamed down side streets. After watching the situation from a distance (tried filming it, but the video is lousy quality), we walked half an hour back to the dorms. Perhaps 10 police cars raced in the opposite direction, towards downtown. A friend said he saw police in full riot gear in a van but I don't know if they were actually deployed. Another exciting night in Grenoble, to say the least.

2 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your excitment never ends!!!!
xoxox Aunt Mary

 
At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm..........somneone very wise once said "If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, no good will come, but if you are in the right place at either the right or wrong time, you will always be safe." I am very thankful for your safety in such a large group, considering the recent suicide bombings of large gatherings and the unrest among the French Muslims.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home