A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Bienvenue a Belfast

I have a TON of pictures from Ireland to post and have only begun whittling them down. Here's ten of the most interesting ones from Belfast, the Northern Ireland capital where I arrived Wednesday night... and then quickly left Thursday afternoon following several hours of traversing the rather industrial city in rapidly falling snow and sleet.


Queens University in Belfast - I left my hostel and walked to the Botanic Gardens (no pictures, although it was interesting nothing was in bloom) just as all the students were heading to class. Interesting revelation: they look... just like... us!


The "austere" Belfast City Hall (I liked it).


I really wanted to scale this clocktower, because apparently it gives a great view over the city and you can even see the two shipyard cranes (Samson and Goliath, 2nd and 3rd largest in the world) that built the Titanic - but strangely, it was closed.


I don't know what it was about the Emerald Isle, but I was quite often in an artistic mood, and both the city and countryside readily lent themselves to my demands.


The first - and definitely not the last - piece of graffiti I saw. I took many pictures in various neighborhoods, but there were a few in Belfast and one or two in Derry where I simply did not feel safe at all, so I stuffed my camera in my pocket and hurried on.


St. Anne's Cathedral.


Exterior shot of the church and some interesting public art; Belfast was quite an artsy city and I saw several more very interesting installations.


Bi-lingual signs! Gasp!


It's not part of the Peace Line, but this wall looks a little more aesthetic!


Another fascinating old building? Nope, look closer -- it's a shopping mall.

I'll post scores more from Derry and the Bloody Foreland as soon as I can!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home