A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Monday, May 15, 2006

Beach Barbecues

In between our visit to Avignon, Nimes and Montpellier and Sweden, we spent a few gorgeous days lounging on Cote d'Azur beaches, barbecuing from brunch to dinner. I sensibly applied liberal amounts of sunscreen and even took the previously unthinkable step of putting on a t-shirt after one particularly blistering afternoon. However, I couldn't prevent my fellow beach bums from parading through my pictures!


One evening we bought around $30 worth of "paella," a Spanish seafood+noodle specialty, but ended up with far more food than coals. Luckily it was already cooked and still tasted delicious cold. We also happened to run out of utensils and unanimously agreed that eating with our hands was our only option. Even covered in sand, charcoal and other assorted additives the paella was tasty! Rach is leading "the way forward" here.


Penelope's rural Australian upbringing permitted her to eat the things the rest of us declined.


After daylight was completely exhausted, we wandered around for a bit before jumping in the Twingo! and driving for hours before finding a Formula 1 motel, a discount chain that is, peculiarly, entirely self-service after 10pm.


The next morning was rinse and repeat, though the rinsing was purely theoretical. Nevertheless, the eggs and bacon were DELICIOUS.


A wave breaks on a rather rocky section of this shore near Marseilles.


Rach and Penelope threw four dead crabs at me but reconciled their treachery with pineapple, salt and vinegar chips and strawberry yogurt. All was quickly forgiven.

2 Comments:

At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

once your back in the States...I hope you dont it boring after all these adventures! xoxo Aunt Mary

 
At 5:46 AM, Blogger Kathy said...

That's it? You leave us at the beach BBQ? I know you've been home awhile. Now that the journey's over, I hope this next stage in your life will continue to awe & shock! Happy Birthday and welcome home, kid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home