A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Oops. Just kidding.


Oops. Just kidding - this is the last image from that village. These were the public toilets. They smelled so bad I couldn't use them. Supposedly they are "self-cleaning." After one person used it, the door would lock and it would go through some sort of cleansing cycle, spraying everything down - allegedly - with disinfectant. Ugh. Luckily there was a makeshift urinal that I was able to use, just inside this little hut of feces.


Our other "stretch stop" was beside a very pretty lake nestled in the mountains. A few of the more adventurous members of the group actually went swimming in here. I decided to wait for a real beach.


And here it is, the Mediterranean at night. Wobbly picture, because it was cold out and the waves were crashing rather fast. There was a full moon, and it was so gorgeous.


Nice's Palais de Justice, brightly illuminated.


The conclusion of the day on Friday. As we walked around the old section of Nice, I saw a plaque and went to inspect. It told me just how old Nice is - it was first settled in 500 BC. Wow.

2 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brillant! That bathroom looks lovely all that tile work..guess looks can be deceiving,eh!
I rememeber in England the public loo's on street corners (!) I was always told how clean they were BUT for some reason the thought of a loo being on a street corner and clean didnt favor with me! Love the pic of you with the sea as the background! Miss you mean it..Aunt Mary

 
At 4:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach! Thanks for the pictures--I'm so jealous! Glad to hear you seem to be having a great time, even without a real residence... The blog was a good idea. I'm keeping myself well Zach-informed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home