A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Instead of studying

I've already had four finals: I discover the outcome of Grammaire Francaise tomorrow, it seemed wickedly easy but I've been deceived before. Luckily the professor institutes a very generous curve so the lowest grade I can get is a B. Whew. I had two translation finals today, one was English to French and the other vice versa. For the English to French final, we had to translate an International Herald Tribune article about the recent riots. We couldn't use dictionaries and I fear my French was woefully ugly and clumsy. Hopefully the other translation final, involving a French magazine interview with Daniel Radcliffe (the Harry Potter actor!), will outweigh it, since I think I only missed a few words. My fourth final was in the afternoon: Techniques d'expression francaise has been the most challenging - but also the best - course of the semester and I think I nailed the final. We had to analyze an interview with a young French boxer, then write a movie review using certain stylistic techniques we learned in the class. I chose Le Fableux Destin d'Amelie Poulain and am crossing my fingers that the few details (actors' names, specific plot twists) I forged will escape unnoticed.

[In light of "Confucius'" comment, and recent highly publicized news stories about people getting in trouble after negative remarks they made online were linked to them in real-life, I'll withhold judgment on my political science courses until a later point in time.]

The next couple days will thus be quite interesting. I have three more posts I want to make, but I doubt I'll have time right away. One will just discuss the fun events of the past week (French-English student dinner, tartiflette with French people, korfball and basketball victories, fun and mildly outrageous nights spent with friends) and include pictures, one will describe my friends, associates and the various people I encounter on a daily basis and the last will discuss how I currently feel about my life abroad - brimming with joy, essentially.

1 Comments:

At 3:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm....hope the professors of finals not yet taken don't know about this blog...I would tread carefully writing about expectations of future events, when it comes to classes or people, or outcome might be much different than that desired.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home