A Year in Grenoble

I'm a junior at Arizona State and majoring in French and Political Science. I'm spending my third year abroad, in Grenoble, France. You can read about the city here. This site will chronicle my adventures...

Friday, September 23, 2005

St. Paul de Vence


On Saturday, I woke up brutally early in order to take a morning bus to St. Paul de Vence, a small artistic commune about 25 minutes away from Nice. Here you can see the enormous medieval fortifcations that still surround it.


Those huge ramparts guard things inside like this, some sort of skinny elephant sprouting a triangular prism-shaped tumor.


But they also help create views like this, which you could see if you peeked down almost any alley.


If you squint, you can see '1850' on the top ring of the fountain. This was one of the larger squares in St. Paul de Vence... and it wasn't very large!


The cement had all been designed (remember, artistic commune) with little suns, because in the south of France, the sun's always shining.


Finally, here's what it looks like from outside. I couldn't find the clocktower - the streets were too narrow and unmarked, and once you're on them, the buildings tower over you!

2 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zach: thank goodness you took your camera! I love all the pictures you post. I have a question though..are you there on HOLIDAY or will you really be attending school?! Love you..mean it
Aunt Mary > Uncle Clive

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger zach said...

I am taking classes at the University of Grenoble! I was accepted by University of Stendhal, the languages and letters school, and I take classes there, along with two political science classes in the "Institut d'Etudes Politiques," or IUP. I've been lucky enough to tweak my schedule so I only have classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, from 8:30am to 3:30pm and 8:30am to 1:10pm, respectively. So I can leave Wednesday afternoon and then not have to return until Tuesday morning!

I'm starting to draw up travel plans now!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home